When people are injured due to no fault of their own, they need a dependable personal injury lawyer who can work to hold the liable party accountable. Slip & fall accidents are far from a rare occurrence in El Dorado County or anywhere in California, and if you have recently sustained an injury in such an accident, you should continue reading and contact our experienced California slip & fall injury lawyer as soon as you can.
Our Slip & Fall Legal Services
For over 20 years, Attorney Dale R. Gomes has assisted clients who’ve been wrongly injured due to unsafe property conditions in a wide variety of slip & fall accidents. Some of the cases that our firm has handled over the years include the following:
- Airport Accidents: Though most people are generally more afraid of their actual flight than of simply arriving at the airport, the unfortunate reality is that airport accidents occur more often than you may think. Airports offer flyers a wide array of amenities, including parking lots, restaurants, bars, gift shops, and more. These all require airport management and staff to remain vigilant in ensuring that each facet of the airport is safe. When they fail to do so, serious accidents can happen as a result.
- Department Store Accidents: While shopping for clothes, sports equipment, or other merchandise does not sound like a particularly dangerous activity, at times, department stores can become extremely dangerous. Escalator/elevator malfunctions, poorly-placed floor mats, negligently-assembled displays toppling over, and more, can all cause serious injuries.
- Parking Lot Accidents: Parking lot accidents are certainly not a rare occurrence in California. Parking lots are bustling with activity, and oftentimes, motorists will fail to check before backing up to ensure no pedestrians are behind them. Parking lot accidents also frequently occur due to poor parking lot conditions, such as potholes, standing water, negligent signage, debris strewn about, and more.
- School Liability Claims: No parent wants to imagine the day where their child comes home with an injury. Parents trust that schools will always look out for their child’s best interests during school hours, and while in most cases, they do, unfortunately, this is not always the case. If your child was injured on school grounds due to a negligent school employee or staff member, you may have a valid school liability claim. Our El Dorado County slip & fall lawyer is here to help.
- Supermarket Accidents: Supermarkets are about the last place anyone would expect to sustain a serious injury, however, like department stores, a wide variety of accidents can occur as a result of supermarket employer or staff negligence. Some of the most common causes of supermarket accidents include spills left unattended, broken merchandise left in aisles, merchandise falling from shelves, and more.
- Sidewalk Accidents: Sidewalks are made for the purpose of pedestrian safety. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and pedestrians can become very seriously injured on a sidewalk that was not maintained sufficiently by its owner. Some of these accidents are caused by uneven pavement, unattended debris, and more.
Documenting the Incident
After a slip & fall accident, the first thing you should do is call the police. If you were injured in a store, you should speak with the manager, and from there, he or she should file a store incident report. You should also ask all witnesses for their name, phone number, and email address so they can corroborate your claim at a later date. Once you are treated at a hospital, ensure you ask your doctor for all medical documentation/bills pertaining to your accident. This can help our firm prove the extent of the damages you’ve sustained. Finally, you should retain the services of a seasoned slip & fall lawyer in El Dorado County, California who can obtain all additional information needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf.
Recovering Compensation After an Accident
There are two primary types of damages that are often sought when it comes to personal injury claims: economic damages and non-economic damages. Essentially, economic damages deal with the tangible financial cost of an injury and include medical bills, lost wages from being unable to work, and more. On the other hand, noneconomic damages deal with intangible, though very real damages, such as the loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and more.
Statute of Limitations
Every state has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to filing personal injury claims. Under most circumstances, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in California is two years, which means that you must take legal action against the liable party within two years of the date of your accident. That being said, if you are injured on property owned by the government or a municipality, you will have to file a Notice of Claim within six months of the date of the injury. The sooner you speak with our firm, the better.
Contact a California Slip & Fall Lawyer
At The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes, we completely understand that there are few things worse than sustaining serious injuries due to the negligence of another party, which is why for years, we have dedicated our legal services to assisting accident victims in El Dorado County and throughout the state of California. If you have been injured in a slip & fall accident, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today and schedule your free initial consultation with a legal team you can trust.