Sacramento DUI Charge Defense Attorney
It is unlawful for anyone in the country to operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. The state of California, including Sacramento, is aggressive in penalizing those who drive under the influence. If a person is convicted of driving under the influence (DUI), they can face serious penalties, including fees, fines, possible incarceration, a license suspension and more.
At The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes, we have the experience needed to competently assess your situation and provide a defense to protect your future. If you were charged with DUI, you must retain the services of a legal team you can trust. Contact us today to discuss your options with one of our experienced El Dorado DUI lawyers.
What To Expect With A First-Offense DUI Charge
A person can be charged with DUI if law enforcement determines that their blood alcohol content (BAC) is over the legal limit. In the state of California, this limit is .08% or greater. This can be determined through a breath or blood test. If you have been caught with a BAC over the legal limit for the first time, you may face the following consequences:
- A period of 96 hours to six months in county jail
- Probation from three to five years
- A base fine of about $390 plus court assessments
- Participation in a court-approved DUI school
- A minimum six-month driver’s license suspension
- A requirement that you cannot drive with any amount of alcohol in your system
The Consequences Of A Second-Offense DUI Conviction
Drivers in California who are convicted of a second offense DUI will most likely face even harsher consequences than those from their first offense. If a driver is convicted of DUI within 10 years of their first conviction, it can result in the following consequences:
- A period of 90 days to one year in county jail
- A fine between $390 and $2,000
- A suspended driver’s license for two years
- Enrollment and participation in a court-approved DUI school
Harsh Penalties For Third Or Subsequent DUI Convictions
Drivers who are found guilty of DUI for a third or subsequent time can face overwhelming consequences that have the potential to impact the rest of their lives. These can include but are not limited to:
- A period of 120 days to one year in county jail
- A fine between $390 and $2,000
- A suspended driver’s license for three years
- Participation in a court-approved DUI program for at least 30 months
- Possible probation
Were You Charged With Drugged Driving in Sacramento?
A person can be charged with driving under the influence of drugs (DUID) if they are no longer sober due to any illegal or over-the-counter drug as well as the combination of such with alcohol. Penalties for this charge can include:
- Three to five years of probation
- A fine of around $1,800 for a first offense
- California DUI school
- Driver’s license suspension
- Possible jail time
According to the California Vehicle Code, a driver can be charged with a felony if it is their fourth or subsequent DUI offense, or if they injure another party in an accident. Penalties for a felony DUID can include the following:
- Up to three years in jail (or four, if a third party was injured)
- A fine of up to $1,000 (or up to $5,000, if someone was injured)
Why Choose The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes?
As a former deputy district attorney, Dale R. Gomes has the skill and experience necessary to effectively defend you in court. Attorney Gomes will give you his undivided attention and explore all legal options on your behalf. If you were charged with a DUI in California, whether it is your first or your fourth, a DUI lawyer at our firm can help. Contact us today.
Contact A Skilled And Experienced Sacramento DUI Attorney Today
If you have been charged with DUI in the state of California, your future is on the line. This is why you must retain the services of one of our skilled DUI lawyers who can fight for your rights. At The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes, they know how to defend your case. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation with an experienced Sacramento DUI attorney.