Being involved in a pedestrian accident can cause serious, life-changing injuries. No matter how safe you are walking the streets and sidewalks of California, it is a possibility that a negligent driver could be responsible for causing an accident. If you were injured by a vehicle, reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney today to help recover the compensation you deserve.
What are the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in California?
Pedestrian accidents, unfortunately, occur more than you might think. While walking the street of California, it is important to know the most common causes of pedestrian accidents to be more aware of your surroundings. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in California include the following factors:
- Driving under the influence
- Distracted driving
- Poor visibility
- Dangerous weather conditions
- Reckless driving
What should I do after being involved in an accident?
If you have been hit by a vehicle, you should have an immediate plan of action to help protect yourself. Having a plan in place for a worst-case scenario such as this will make an incredible difference in how you react under stress. Take the following steps after being involved in an accident:
- Call the police. Be sure that the police and any medical personal arrive on the scene. The police will be able to conduct a police report while medical professionals can treat any injuries sustained in the accident. Seek immediate medical attention for your injuries. Even if you do not feel immediate pain, it is important to be seen by a medical professional to be sure that future injuries do not arise.
- Collect the contact and insurance information from the other party involved.
- Speak with any witnesses who may have seen the incident and collect their contact information
- Collect any medical records that pertain to the accident after you have been properly treated for your injuries. These documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Take photos of the scene and injuries.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you to recover the compensation you deserve.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in California?
Victims of pedestrian accidents suffer from serious injuries as well as emotional and financial burdens. If this has happened to you, it is important that you fight for the compensation you deserve for the damages that you have faced. Some burdens may include medical expenses, loss of enjoyment of life, pain, suffering, emotional distress, loss of independence, and lost wages. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in California is two years. This means that you will have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the negligent party. It is important to take legal action within this time period to avoid being barred from suing.
Contact an El Dorado County Pedestrian Accidents Lawyer
The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes has proudly served clients across California after they’ve been hurt by the negligence of another party. Our El Dorado County pedestrian accident lawyers recognize the strain that you and your loved ones face after a serious accident and are committed to helping you move forward in a positive way. We will fight tirelessly to recover the compensation you are entitled to, as well as for the justice you deserve. For quality legal services when they matter most, contact The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes today.