There are many ways that a criminal record can impact an individual’s future. It is possible for the consequences of a criminal record to follow an individual for the rest of their life, affecting their livelihood and future. To learn more about these consequences, continue reading. Reach out to our experienced criminal defense attorney today for assistance with your record. We are prepared to assist you, no matter the circumstances of your conviction.
What are the long-term consequences of a criminal record?
- Permanent criminal record: When a person is convicted of a crime, they will have a permanent criminal record that can be accessed by a background check.
- Getting a job: Many businesses will require applicants to submit to a background check. Having a criminal record may make you ineligible for a government job. However, it is important to know that a prospective employer cannot ask you about the following in the state of California:
- Juvenile arrests that have been sealed
- Misdemeanor convictions that probation was completed and the case was dismissed
- Personal use marijuana-related offenses that are over two years old
- Arrests or detentions that did not result in a conviction
- Arrests you have successfully completed drug diversion for
- Renting a home: When an individual has a criminal record, their options in the affordable and safe housing pool may become smaller. However, it is illegal for landlords to discriminate.
- Immigration status: An individual with a criminal record can lose their visas or be denied renewal. It is also possible for these individuals to become unable to become permanent residents or gain a green card due to their records.
- Applying for college: Disclosing a record on a college application can be detrimental.
- Gun ownership: Being convicted of a felony means that you will not be allowed to own, receive, buy, or possess a gun. Certain misdemeanors and felonies can result in a lifetime ban on gun ownership.
If you have a criminal record and require assistance from an experienced criminal defense attorney, look no further than our dedicated legal team at The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes. To learn more about our services and how we can assist you with your record, pick up the phone today to schedule an initial consultation with our firm.
Contact our experienced California firm
Whether you’ve been injured in an accident due to negligence or you’ve been charged with a DUI, you cannot afford to proceed without strong legal representation at your side. Here at The Law Offices of Dale R. Gomes, we are dedicated to helping all those in need of an attorney who can efficiently fight for their rights. Contact our firm today so we can discuss your case.